December 13, 2010 / Kyle Sun / 0 Comments
This is so awesome! Wanna wanna know where it is…
November 8, 2010 / Kyle Sun / 0 Comments
Today I got a chance to think of my hiking plan. The result is a to-do list w/ notes and a wish list.
BE PREPARED! HIKE SMART!
- Grand Canyon Rim-river-Rim (Done)
- I’ve done one-day hiking twice thru three most popular trails – South Kaibab Trail(partial), Bright Angel Trail(partial) and Plateau Point Trail.
- Looking forward to doing a rim-to-rim hiking around next May starting from South Rim
- Wish to do another one from North Rim, and one crossing
- `The earliest you can apply for a permit is the first of the month, four months prior to the proposed start month.`
- Best late May – early June.
- 20+ mile round trip and ~5,000 feet elevation difference between rim and river
- Remember to check water station
- Should apply for the permit at the very first day. Grand canyon backcountry office told me they already received crazy 1k+ permit requests at the time i faxed them permit request on Jan.4th.
- Done the 2-day Rim-River-Rim hiking via South Kaibab – Phantom Ranch – River Trail – Bright Angel Trail (~20mi and 5000 ft) w/ Bingran, Yizhi, James, Raj and Steffan at June 3-4, 2011.
- Grand Canyon Rim2Rim
- Go down from south rim to river and back to north rim. It says that the view from north rim is incredible.
- Half Dome – Yosemite (Done)
- Is a must-do in Yosemite
- 8.3 mi hike (one way), a day or two
- Permit required on 7 days a week! (400 max, 4 months ahead)
- Cable route is class 3, sounds exciting
- Done on Aug.21, 2011 w/ Rajesh, Steffan, James
- Subway – Zion
- Most popular in Zion NP, permit needed (3 month in advance, 50 max)
- 7-9 hours hiking in water, 60-foot rope might needed as handline, dry bag needed
- A car / shuttle needed
- Some friends told me it not as hard as the Narrows that i did
- Check weather for flash flood forecast
- Wonderland Trail – Mt. Rainier
- Mt. Whitney (Done)
- 22 mi RT, 6,400 feet elevation gain, day trip
- Highest summit in the lower 48 states!
- Permit required
- High altitude effect
- Done the day hike with Roger, James, Yizhi on Aug.26, 2012
A wish list is kinda like a dream list – something not feasible in the near future
- Appalachian Trail
- Continental Divide Trail
- Pacific Crest Trail
- All of three are long distance, 2,000 mile to 3,500 mile
- Usually takes 4-6 months to finish one of these
- Triple Crown of Hiking – finish all of three, 7,400 mile, 1,000,000 feet, 22 states
Well, i realize all above trails are in the US. I’ll expand the list as soon as i level up my knowledge 🙂
(last updated: Aug 27, 2012)